Finding Meaning & Purpose Through Positive Mental Health
Positive mental health is becoming popular in our society today and the studies behind positive psychology are becoming the way to make a difference. Marie Jahoda is a psychologist who was an early developer of positive mental health and believed in the change positive mental health had on others lives. Through her studies she has formed 6 criteria's one must obtain and conqueror to succeed positive mental health, all of which lead to meaning and purpose in ones life. Jahoda provides a criteria of 6 characteristics to help a person reach the ultimate goal of positive mental health:
- Positive Self-Attitude: acceptance of self and confidence; understanding personal strengths and weaknesses; and believing in your good outweighing your bad.
- Growth & Self-Actualization: Moving towards higher goals and wanting to grow; wanting more not only for yourself but for your community and environment.
- Integration of the Personality: Balancing your ID, ego, and super ego; has a unique look on life and resists stress; cognitively shaping your feelings and behaviors; tolerance and healthy steps to facing stress & anxiety leads to positive mental health.
- Autonomy: self determination and independence; positive mental health is a person who is self-directed and self-controlled.
- Reality Perception: viewing the world without distortions; the ability to perceive others in an empathetic manner; not judging someone else before picturing yourself in their situation.
- Environmental Mastery: achieving success in some social roles and obtaining appropriate function in those roles; positive effective interpersonal relationships; ability to adapt, adjust, and solve problems in an efficient manner.