How Technology for Older Adults Promotes Independence and Safety
Whether you are trying to tune a guitar, learn a brand-new language, or simply add cats’ ears to a selfie, there’s an app for that! And for those who want to age in place, technology for older adults may very well be an essential element in boosting safety, comfort, and overall wellbeing.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, as an example. Although its current benefits for older adults are many, like the capability to track blood sugar levels, make physician appointments, and research information relating to a specific medical condition, it is actually positioned to dig even deeper into the medical care arena – perhaps even detecting heart attacks and helping physicians get precise diagnoses.
Below are a few additional technology solutions you may want to consider for a loved one:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting security system offers peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention; however, frequently it can do a lot more, such as alerting when detecting smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the home which are abnormally high or low, just to name a few. They’re also beneficial for individuals diagnosed with dementia who may be susceptible to wandering, to alert to a senior’s activities close to the home.
- Telehealth: Save a visit to the doctor’s office by utilizing one of a number of apps that allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, many of whom are available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
- Fall Prevention: One of several main factors that can lead to senior falls is poor lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to boost lighting in areas of specific concern, such as between the bedroom and bathroom, or on outside walkways when set off by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior scammers are persistent and routinely evolve their strategies. Seniors can enhance protection through apps that keep track of financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, catch any use of a person’s Social Security number, and much more.
- Health Care: A variety of health care needs are able to be met from the comfort of home, including video chats with health practitioners to avoid a visit to the office, prescription ordering, and medication management to make sure meds are taken at the recommended times as well as in the right doses.
Contact All Care In-Home Care Solutions to get more detailed ideas on improving life at home for senior loved ones – whether through technology, our specialized in-home care assistance, or both! Our experts senior services in Medford, Oregon are available locally and in surrounding communities to help set up and explain technological options, and to provide the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that enables seniors to live their best lives. Call us now at (541) 857-9195 for an in-home consultation and let us know how we can help you!